www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Reuse of ASF source code and NOTICE
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:18:35 GMT
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In a recent commit to Apache JAMES Mime4J I introduced a Base64OutputStream
> released from another ASF PMC (Apache MyFaces). Should we add anything to
> our NOTICE?
>
> I ask this because I happen to look at wicket main NOTICE file and I see
> they made a reference to each file they copied around from other ASF
> products:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/wicket/trunk/NOTICE
>
> I referenced the source in the svn commit and I added a line to the
> source file header saying "This class has been copied from Apache
> MyFaces Trinidad 1.2.8"
>
> I thought the main "This product includes software developed at The
> Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)." allowed us to
> include any source from any ASF project without further references, but
> I'd like to have confirmation for this.

There is no legal requirement for one ASF project to give attribution
to another ASF project.  This, however, does not mean that attribution
requirements imposed by third parties can be dropped merely because
the code was obtained from an ASF source instead of directly from the
third party.

> In this specific case I add that the NOTICE for the ASF MyFaces Trinidad
> package I downloaded to get the Base64OutputStream.java file include this:
> -------------
> Portions of this software were originally based on the following:
>
>  - software copyright (c) 2000-2006, Oracle Corp, <http://www.oracle.com/>.
> and are licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
> "Software Grant and Corporate Contribution License Agreement"
> -------------
>
> I tried to understand if the Base64OutputStream was from this
> grant/contribution or not, but I can only find this:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/myfaces/trinidad/trunk/trinidad-api/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/trinidad/util/Base64OutputStream.java?revision=404824&view=markup
> and the original incubated code:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/adffaces/trunk/adf-faces/adf-faces-api/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/adf/util/Base64OutputStream.java?revision=404824&view=markup&pathrev=404824
>
> The first version of the NOTICE file is newer than the import above and
> already includes the Oracle reference:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/myfaces/trinidad/trunk/NOTICE.txt?revision=466284&view=markup
>
> From my understanding (also scanning markmail for "Oracle" + "Trinidad")
> Oracle contributed minor parts of the code (mainly message bundle
> translations and a portlet-bridge code.. but MyFaces team included a generic
> reference to Oracle in the main NOTICE.
>
> Looking in trinidad-1.2.8-src-all.zip java files I see many of them have a
> version header  with an "oracle" reference in the path:
> -----
> @version $Name:  $ ($Revision:
> adfrt/faces/adf-faces-api/src/test/java/oracle/adf/view/faces/convert/ConverterTestCase.java#0
> $) $Date: 17-oct-2005.16:28:54 $
> ------
>
> The Base64OutputStream is not one of them.

Is is the responsibility of the PMCs to ensure that IPR policies are
followed.  This should be brought up first with the MyFaces PMC.  If
this does not result in adequate resolution, then either the Legal
Affairs Committee or the board will get involved.

> Stefano

- Sam Ruby