www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: SyntaxHighlighter - LGPL
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:21:36 GMT
On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>>
>> Usage is described here:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/syntaxhighlighter/wiki/Usage
>>
>> The key being lines like the following
>>
>> <script language="javascript" src="js/shCore.js"></script>
>>
>> The question is where js/shCore.js can be obtained from, and whether
>> the location is relevant.
>>
>> Given the use case, I continue to be unconcerned.
>
> Agreed; shCore.js is source.  It won't become binary as distributed
> for our websites.  So the additional copyleft "restrictions" aren't
> restrictions at all.

OK, so if there isn't concern, I'd rather pursue a statement that we
can quickly come to consensus on now rather than attempt address the
larger and somewhat more contentious issues which may produce an
answer much later.

So: do we have agreement that LGPL'ed JavaScript may be placed in
source form on our web site, and may be included in product downloads,
again in source form, for the purposes of enhancing the display of
product documentation, provided that such uses are clearly marked and
can be easily removed by those that may wish to do so?

- Sam Ruby