www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: SyntaxHighlighter - LGPL
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2008 21:43:10 GMT
On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 2:33 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

>>> No.  Sounds easy to obtain, offer pointers.
>>
>> A number of people are comfortable with LGPL (I don't happen to be one
>> of them, but...).  A number of people are comfortable with reciprocal
>> licenses not being an issue in the context of scripts which are
>> delivered in source form anyway (this applies to me).  I don't happen
>> to see syntax highlighting in documentation as a "hard" dependency.
>
> Here's my thought; if the site which ships these client-side scripts
> we are fine posting them on our site (script == source, comes back to
> the whole issue of dtd files etc always being represented in source form,
> so LGPL copyleft isn't any "additional" restriction).
>
> If these are clientside jars for java, then it becomes a question; don't
> we want to point these to the appropriate host site, so that the user CAN
> obtain the source code as spelled out in the LGPL.  We remove the burden
> from the ASF.
>
> So in the second case, my only question is how would this be a hardship
> to pull it from it's 'reference' location on the web?

Unless I'm misreading the website, we are not talking about java, we
are not talking about jars, and we are not talking about a situation
where user interaction is typically involved in the download.

Usage is described here:

http://code.google.com/p/syntaxhighlighter/wiki/Usage

The key being lines like the following

<script language="javascript" src="js/shCore.js"></script>

The question is where js/shCore.js can be obtained from, and whether
the location is relevant.

Given the use case, I continue to be unconcerned.

- Sam Ruby