www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Reuse of ASF source code and NOTICE
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:30:07 GMT
Matthias Wessendorf ha scritto:
>> If Oracle provided a notice and has not removed it, that notice
>> requirement needs to carry forward to any ASF project that includes
>> that code.  That being said, I see no requirement to acknowledge
>> another ASF project, but you are, of course, welcome to do so.
>
> means an extension of our (Trinidad) code, needs to include the ORA
> notice as well ?
>
> -Matthias

If you have it in Trinidad NOTICE than anyone using that code will have
to inherit your NOTICE content.

If you want to put a statement about the source of the code but you
don't need it to be inherited by ALv2 targeted users then you better
should put the statement in a README file or anything else that is not
the NOTICE file.

The NOTICE purpose is to have the list of credits to be "relayed" when
you redistribute a product or parts of a product licensed under the
Apache License v2 terms.

At least this is what I understood so far and I'm not a lawyer.
Stefano