www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Reuse of ASF source code and NOTICE
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:01:08 GMT
Hi all,

In a recent commit to Apache JAMES Mime4J I introduced a
Base64OutputStream released from another ASF PMC (Apache MyFaces).
Should we add anything to our NOTICE?

I ask this because I happen to look at wicket main NOTICE file and I see
they made a reference to each file they copied around from other ASF
products:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/wicket/trunk/NOTICE

I referenced the source in the svn commit and I added a line to the
source file header saying "This class has been copied from Apache
MyFaces Trinidad 1.2.8"

I thought the main "This product includes software developed at The
Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)." allowed us to
include any source from any ASF project without further references, but
I'd like to have confirmation for this.

In this specific case I add that the NOTICE for the ASF MyFaces Trinidad
package I downloaded to get the Base64OutputStream.java file include this:
-------------
Portions of this software were originally based on the following:

  - software copyright (c) 2000-2006, Oracle Corp, <http://www.oracle.com/>.
and are licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
"Software Grant and Corporate Contribution License Agreement"
-------------

I tried to understand if the Base64OutputStream was from this
grant/contribution or not, but I can only find this:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/myfaces/trinidad/trunk/trinidad-api/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/trinidad/util/Base64OutputStream.java?revision=404824&view=markup
and the original incubated code:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/adffaces/trunk/adf-faces/adf-faces-api/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/adf/util/Base64OutputStream.java?revision=404824&view=markup&pathrev=404824

The first version of the NOTICE file is newer than the import above and
already includes the Oracle reference:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/myfaces/trinidad/trunk/NOTICE.txt?revision=466284&view=markup

 From my understanding (also scanning markmail for "Oracle" +
"Trinidad") Oracle contributed minor parts of the code (mainly message
bundle translations and a portlet-bridge code.. but MyFaces team
included a generic reference to Oracle in the main NOTICE.

Looking in trinidad-1.2.8-src-all.zip java files I see many of them have
a version header  with an "oracle" reference in the path:
-----
@version $Name:  $ ($Revision:
adfrt/faces/adf-faces-api/src/test/java/oracle/adf/view/faces/convert/ConverterTestCase.java#0

$) $Date: 17-oct-2005.16:28:54 $
------

The Base64OutputStream is not one of them.

Stefano