www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Santiago Gala" <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GPL licensing question ...
Date Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:10:11 GMT
On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Ralph Goers
<Ralph.Goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
(...)
> As you referred to in your response, this is my pessimistic view. My
> optimistic view is that they are out of their minds and that no court would
> ever agree with them that simply using GPL'd code mandates that the work as
> a whole be under the GPL, especially where such use is a small part of the
> work as a whole.

Dont forget the non-exclusionary nature of software. Even if a court
would mandate distribution of THE WORK AS A WHOLE under the GPL, the
SCM revision just before the GPL code was added, or the changes after
it that no are needed for the integration of the GPL work into THE
WORK AS A WHOLE (i.e. the work previous to the addition + evolution)
would still be under the AL 2.0 License.

I mean, the fact that two works are integrated into a larger work,
with potentially different copyright than any of the components, does
not preclude the components to keep existing. It is much like the fact
that a screen adaptation is done using "Macbeth", and gets
copyrighted, does not impede the original play editions keep having
their original copyright status (public domain or whatever) and/or
licenses.

Regards
Santiago