www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Publishing the process page
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:20:07 GMT

On Jul 9, 2008, at 10:14 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Without the checkbox, how can the contributor say that the patch is
>> *not* licensed to Apache?
>
> You cut section 1, that reads in part
>
>      excluding communication that is conspicuously marked or otherwise
>      designated in writing by the copyright owner as "Not a
> Contribution."

In a JIRA issue, comments, svn commits, and patches are independently
presented. There's no specific association between a comment and a
patch.

If the patch is not specifically identified as "not a contribution"
then what do you propose as a mechanism to associate a patch with a
"conspicuously marked" comment "Not a Contribution"?

I think it's pretty good right now that you can tell immediately that
a patch is or is not a contribution without having to look through the
comments and try to figure out from the comments which patches are
intended to be contributions and which are not.

Craig