www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Licenses are not always what they seem [was: RE: GPL licensing question ...]
Date Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:53:20 GMT
--- On Sun, 7/27/08, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Joe Schaefer
> <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- On Sat, 7/26/08, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> >
> >> If we wish to do something with a body of code,
> >> and the provided
> >> license does not give us the permissions we need,
> >> we should seek another license.
> >
> > Which is exactly what explicit permission is, a
> > license which
> > trumps all other considerations.
>
> If by explicit, you mean a signed agreement between the ASF
> and the third party that covers the terms, then I agree.
>
> If you mean verbal statement, a statement in email, a note
> on a web page, or any or all of the above when made by one of the
> contributors to the body of code, then I think that falls
> a bit short of what we need.

What I mean is something along these lines:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/lib/core/oreilly.permission.txt

That's an email from the copyright owner (O'Reilly) to one of
our projects granting them explicit permission to use code
from a book.  That's hardly a signed document, but it's
entirely good enough IMO.