www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: blanket software grant
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 02:57:24 GMT
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Sun has a master agreement (specially negotiated CCLA) with Apache. My
> advice is to have your VP (Marten) sign an Attachment A to the master
> agreement and then post the donation on the IP Clearance incubation
> site for review. This is how large donations to Apache Derby have been
> handled in the past. And the DB PMC is comfortable with this process.
>
> Anyone paying attention to the Derby commit log will notice the
> localizations and realize that it could not possibly have been your
> own individual work, and question whether you have the authority to
> commit it. So rather than have a long dialog on the Derby alias, you
> can just follow the time-worn process.

Or perhaps a short dialogue on derby dev explaining exactly what Rick
did in his post to legal-discuss, that he wants to checkin updated files
"prepared by a translating team inside" his company and that his
employer authorizes him to contribute them under his icla. And the URL
pointing to this email thread.  :-)

--I'm the first one to ask for software grants when I think they are
really needed. In this case, I really question it because the message
files go through a translation cycle on each release round. Requiring a
software grant for each iteration seems unnecessarily heavyweight.

The feedback Roy (and Sam on the other thread I started) provided makes
me feel comfortable that the icla is sufficient for this specific case.

Craig, what do you think?

thanks,

 -jean