www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Using a GPL library with Apache CouchDB
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:07:46 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> no, the wording is that Apache projects don't contain dependencies which
>> restrict the "developer" from their choice of application.
> Well, I almost understand this sentence. "developer" and "application"
> are ambiguous but I believe I understand your meaning. Assuming you mean
> "Apache projects don't restrict "developers" from using the projects in
> any way they desire, then I'd agree. But Sam was talking about
> commercial products. I was simply trying to point out that it wasn't
> being a commercial product that was the problem, but the ability to
> choose any license they desire.

Exactly.  Combining any work with a GPL work results in a GPL license.

Combining a AL work with any subset of a BSD advertising-free license
results in that license, as we are one of the more liberal licenses.

e.g. the consumer/developer has the *choice*, as opposed to the creator
imposing a choice on the consumer/developer.