www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Using a GPL library with Apache CouchDB
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2008 07:55:32 GMT

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>> I would have worded it "Apache projects do not have dependencies
>> which would preclude their use in a proprietary licensed commercial
>> context".
>
> wtf?
>
> no, the wording is that Apache projects don't contain dependencies which
> restrict the "developer" from their choice of application.
Well, I almost understand this sentence. "developer" and "application"
are ambiguous but I believe I understand your meaning. Assuming you mean
"Apache projects don't restrict "developers" from using the projects in
any way they desire, then I'd agree. But Sam was talking about
commercial products. I was simply trying to point out that it wasn't
being a commercial product that was the problem, but the ability to
choose any license they desire.

Ralph