www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Using a GPL library with Apache CouchDB
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:35:37 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Noah Slater wrote:
>>
>> The FSF's definition of "linking" seems awfully C* based. The only
>> mention of
>> "dynamic" languages I could find was that of Java, which is different
>> IMO.
>
> That's hair splitting; use, import, include, ld foo.a all serve effectively
> the same end and purpose no matter if this is C, C++, Java, C#, Python,
> Perl, ADA or Lisp.
>
> C under most OS's offers dynamic linkage, of course.  We've chosen to
> interpret it identically.

That statement didn't go quite far enough.

There is a distinction between dynamically linking to an interface which
might be implemented by an AL, a GPL, and a commercially licensed library.

In that case, if the ASF assembles software that the -end user- might choose
to deploy with such a GPL library, it's of no concern to us.  We are only
concerned about implementing against an only-GPL available interface.

The way my post sounded, it would seem impossible to use an ASF class under
Kaffe's VM or something.  That's not what I meant :)