www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Publishing the process page
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 03:51:08 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:02 PM, David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
>> Henri Yandell wrote:
>>> I'm going to go ahead and move
>>> http://www.apache.org/legal/drafts/process-draft.html out of drafts
>>> and onto the main set of links.
>>>
>>> Final chance for -1s.
>> I am not happy with item 4: about the patches process. It is the
>> opposite of what is declared in the CLA and the Apache License,
>> regarding how contributions are treated by default.
>>
>> I commented on this a long time ago and again yesterday,
>> but perhaps it got lost in threaded mail clients:
>>  Re: Summarizing how we dot the i's
>>  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200807.mbox/%3c20080708041952.GE924@igg.indexgeo.com.au%3e
>
> My view on the matter is pretty simple - we either need the express
> permission or we don't. If we need it, then we should have it in both
> Bugzilla and JIRA. If we don't, then life gets simpler.
>
> If we need the express permission, then I prefer an enforced mechanism
> - ie the checkbox - to having them say it in their comment.
>
> The CLA isn't pertinent imo - the checkbox is for people who have not
> signed the CLA - though if a person who has signed the CLA checks
> 'No', then that would still apply. The license is important - if it
> covers us for any contributions on mailing list or issue tracker (or
> wiki), then I don't see the need for the checkbox, though I'm sure it
> makes things legally happier.

C.f. AL 2.0, section 1;

       "Contribution" shall mean any work of authorship, including
       the original version of the Work and any modifications or additions
       to that Work or Derivative Works thereof, that is intentionally
       submitted to Licensor for inclusion in the Work by the copyright owner
       or by an individual or Legal Entity authorized to submit on behalf of
       the copyright owner. For the purposes of this definition, "submitted"
       means any form of electronic, verbal, or written communication sent
       to the Licensor or its representatives, including but not limited to
       communication on electronic mailing lists, source code control systems,
       and issue tracking systems that are managed by, or on behalf of, the
       Licensor for the purpose of discussing and improving the Work, but
       excluding communication that is conspicuously marked or otherwise
       designated in writing by the copyright owner as "Not a Contribution."

and section 5;

       Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise,
       any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work
       by You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of
       this License, without any additional terms or conditions.

No, since the death of AL 1.1, there's no need for the checkbox.