www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Licenses are not always what they seem [was: RE: GPL licensing question ...]
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:28:12 GMT
>From the FAQ: "Operating systems or other applications written to use
Xen's hypercall interface are not derived works of Xen, hence may be
licensed differently."  That's at best a clarification.  To be usable
as permission, I need to know exactly which portions of the code I'm
allowed to use in a manner that deviates from the GPL.

Which, thankfully Xen takes care of by applying the appropriate licenses:

http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.2-testing.hg?file/6de4320d71f9/COPYING

2GNU General Public License
3--------------------------
4
5Most files in this repository are licensed under the terms of the GNU
6General Public License (GPL), a copy of which is attached at the end
7of this notice. Note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as
8the files in this repository are concerned is _this_ particular
9version of the license (i.e., *only* v2, not v2.2 or v3.x or
10whatever), unless explicitly otherwise stated.
11
12Licensing Exceptions (the relaxed BSD-style license)
13----------------------------------------------------
14
15For the convenience of users and those who are porting OSes to run as
16Xen guests, certain files in this repository are not subject to the
17GPL when distributed separately or included in software packages
18outside this repository. Instead we specify a much more relaxed
19BSD-style license. Affected files include the Xen interface headers
20(xen/include/public/COPYING), and various drivers, support functions
21and header files within the Linux source trees on
22http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.X-xen.hg. In all such cases,
23license terms are stated at the top of the file or in a COPYING file
24in the same directory. Note that _any_ file that is modified and then
25distributed within a Linux kernel is still subject to the GNU GPL.

A couple of examples from include/public:
http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.2-testing.hg?file/6de4320d71f9/xen/include/public/COPYING
http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.2-testing.hg?file/6de4320d71f9/xen/include/public/callback.h

Assaf