www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Question about handling external updates to contributed files
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 02:31:59 GMT
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Jean T. Anderson <jta@apache.org> wrote:
> rats, my post is crossing with Rick's titled "blanket software grant". Feel
> free to respond to his.

Others have responded to Rick's question, but let me add something to yours:

> -jean
>
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>
>> A question has come up on derby-dev about the correct handling of the
>> re-contribution of translated message files.
>>
>> IBM included translated message files in the original derby software
>> grant.
>>
>> We all understand that our ICLAs cover work on any source files we
>> committers work on at Apache. Committers are updating the English message
>> files in the Apache svn repo, but they aren't updating the translated files.
>> For later releases, IBM and Sun have updated the translations and
>> contributed them back to the project.
>>
>> Should the contributor of a translation update send in a software grant
>> for each update?  --We haven't been asking for that, but if we should do
>> that we will.
>>
>> We're trying to avoid a situation that might look like commit-by-proxy.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt, section 4, explicitly allows
for what you are calling commit-by-proxy; while simultaneously
encouraging employees to talk to their employer.  Should the employer
feel that they may have a claim on the contribution, a CCLA would make
sense.

>> thanks,
>>
>> -jean

- Sam Ruby