www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: GPL licensing question ...
Date Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:51:17 GMT
On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Ralph Goers <Ralph.Goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Sam Ruby wrote:
>>
>> Both the GPL and FSF are clear on this matter: simple 'use' of GPL
>> software does not require modifications to programs (even to the
>> original GPL software itself!) to be released in any form.
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic
>>
>> - Sam Ruby
>
> I'm not sure why you linked to that particular FAQ. All it speaks to is that
> you are free to do what you want if you don't distribute the software.

But... that's key.  If we don't distribute MySQL or its driver, then
are not 'copying', and the GPL (which ultimately is a copyright
license) does not apply.

If a user assembles an ASF project which uses JDBC, and then installs
MySQL and its driver separately, and then wires them together, and
does not distribute the result -- even if they make modifications  to
one or more of the components -- then that link speaks to what it
required of them.

> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLWrapper

Yes, that is relevant; but only to those who are interested in copying
and distributing works derived from GPL-covered parts.  Since we are
interested in enabling people to produce and distribute works derived
from Apache projects under terms to do so under terms under terms no
more restrictive than those of the Apache License, Version 2.0 itself;
we need to make sure that dependencies on projects like MySQL are
truly optional.

- Sam Ruby