www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Using a GPL library with Apache CouchDB
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2008 02:23:13 GMT
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:00:45AM +0100, Noah Slater wrote:
>> On last question before I part company... am I correct in thinking that these
>> annoying restrictions still apply to CouchDB even though the only thing we
>> would be (potentially) doing is "import xapian" in a custom Python
>> application.

Part company?  Sound ominous.

> After reading your post Sam, it seems clear that we can't use Xapian even if it
> was allowed by the GPL because this would go against the principal of not
> requiring any GPL code dependencies. What a shame.

Permit me to reword that for you.  It would be a shame if an Apache
project were to have a dependency which would preclude use of that
product in a commercial context.

> I am still curious to know if the "linking" aspect applies to "import xapian".

I see that Bill has provided the legal answer.  Let me augment that
with a policy statement:

Apache project do not have dependencies which would preclude use of
that product in a commercial context.

> --
> Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/

- Sam Ruby