www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: GPL licensing question ...
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:21:40 GMT
On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 19:39 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> > Sam Ruby wrote:
> >> This approach is not dissimilar to utilizing mysql through JDBC, which
> >> is allowed.
> >
> > On a related note, consider the following...
> >
> > The ASF hosts projects, e.g., Lokahi and Tashi, that want to manage a myriad
> > of outside technologies.  Presume that the ASF designs an AL licensed
> > management plugin interface that would be implemented per managed
> > technology.  Some outside technologies to be managed might be GPL licensed.
> > What would be the issue(s) with hosting implementations of that plugin
> > interface where one or more implementations for external items to be managed
> > might touch GPL in order to implement that plugin for the GPL licensed
> > external entity?
>
> The questions we would ask ourselves would be:
>
> 1) Is the plugin interface deemed sufficient to make the GPL product
> and the main Apache product (Lokahi/Tashi) independent of each other?
> 2) Are we happy hosting the bridge code under GPL?

^GPL^Apache License. IMHO, we will not host any bridge code that is GPL
licensed.

If the bridge code is Apache Licensed and third parties decide to write
code against it that is GPL licensed, then this is perfectly fine with
me. We already have that:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/jdo/trunk/api2/src/java is the API

and

http://speedo.objectweb.org/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jdoinstruments

are (L)GPLed implementations of that API.

	Ciao
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | JEE, Linux, Unix
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache Java Software

INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350
Gesellschaftssitz: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen

  char name_buf[257];           /* max unix filename is 256, right? */