www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: NOTICEs in Maven projects
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:45:49 GMT

On Jun 20, 2008, at 5:56 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>> The interesting effect of this interpretation is that there are
>> projects whose source and binary releases should have different
>> NOTICEs. This doesn't seem right, so currently I'm answering yes to
>> question 1 if the project build results in a bundle (war, rar, etc.)
>> that contains Y.
>
> We had a good discussion about this on sling-dev@incubator (see [1])
> and came up with a solution where the build setup is responsible for
> attaching appropriate LICENSE and NOTICE files to the build result in
> case those files would differ from the ones at the root of the source
> directory.
>
> To achieve this, we manually created these "binary" LICENSE and NOTICE
> files in locations like src/main/resources/META-INF, where they'd be
> picked up by Maven for inclusion in the resulting artifact. The end
> result is quite nice, with accurate license and copyright information
> for all source and binary packages. I'm advocating using this approach
> also at least in future Jackrabbit and Tika releases.
>
> Somewhat related, as discussed on server-dev@james (see [2]), I don't
> think the current Maven tools are flexible enough to automatically
> generate any non-trivial license and copyright information for
> inclusion in binary packages. However, maintaining this information
> manually isn't too difficult.

To clarify what the current remote resources bundle does do...
- it starts with standard ASL and (templated) NOTICE files
- appends additional content you may have put in a source appended-
resources folder
- does nothing if you have installed LICENSE and NOTICE files by other
means

So for most apache projects that include at least some asl code it
gives you a starting point to which you append custom bits as
necessary.  If the project includes no asl code then you just supply
the correct LICENSE/NOTICE files directly.

hope this is clarifying rather than pedantic :-)
david jencks