www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Question about the ASF claiming copyright
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:29:29 GMT
On Jun 10, 2008, at 6:20 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
> The issue of multiple copyright holders, that of the committers and
> of the
> Foundation, does seem like it could bring some legal complexity. Is
> there any
> reason the ASF doesn't use copyright assignments?

Because copyright assignment reduces the rights of the original authors
and is often forbidden in some countries and by some employers.  The
only
legal complexity it brings is the question of standing in a copyright
infringement lawsuit initiated by us.  Since the ASF is designed
specifically to avoid such lawsuits (unlike the FSF which is designed
to enforce copyleft), we don't need assignment and can welcome a much
larger base of contributors as a result.

....Roy