www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NOTICEs in Maven projects
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:55:09 GMT

On Jun 20, 2008, at 11:45 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2008, at 5:56 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>> The interesting effect of this interpretation is that there are
>>> projects whose source and binary releases should have different
>>> NOTICEs. This doesn't seem right, so currently I'm answering yes to
>>> question 1 if the project build results in a bundle (war, rar, etc.)
>>> that contains Y.
>>
>> We had a good discussion about this on sling-dev@incubator (see [1])
>> and came up with a solution where the build setup is responsible for
>> attaching appropriate LICENSE and NOTICE files to the build result in
>> case those files would differ from the ones at the root of the source
>> directory.
>>
>> To achieve this, we manually created these "binary" LICENSE and
>> NOTICE
>> files in locations like src/main/resources/META-INF, where they'd be
>> picked up by Maven for inclusion in the resulting artifact. The end
>> result is quite nice, with accurate license and copyright information
>> for all source and binary packages. I'm advocating using this
>> approach
>> also at least in future Jackrabbit and Tika releases.
>>
>> Somewhat related, as discussed on server-dev@james (see [2]), I don't
>> think the current Maven tools are flexible enough to automatically
>> generate any non-trivial license and copyright information for
>> inclusion in binary packages. However, maintaining this information
>> manually isn't too difficult.
>
> To clarify what the current remote resources bundle does do...
> - it starts with standard ASL and (templated) NOTICE files
> - appends additional content you may have put in a source appended-
> resources folder
> - does nothing if you have installed LICENSE and NOTICE files by
> other means
>
> So for most apache projects that include at least some asl code it
> gives you a starting point to which you append custom bits as
> necessary.  If the project includes no asl code then you just supply
> the correct LICENSE/NOTICE files directly.
>
> hope this is clarifying rather than pedantic :-)
> david jencks

One more thing of note:   the LICENSE/NOTICE things that remote-
resources uses  are just velocity templates stored in separate
bundles.  Thus, if you project has it's own requirements (like a
common statement that needs to go into all the NOTICE files), they
should feel free to create their own bundle that would produce the
stuff they need.

Dan

>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/2enw6ktxhc4ixmrk
>> [2] http://markmail.org/message/lt2jef5hizmhmzl6