www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Santiago Gala" <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Platforms + Legal policy
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:33:40 GMT
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Justin Erenkrantz
>> <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not so sure that's what we'd want to say.  For a lot of projects,
>>> distribution wouldn't necessarily trigger anything harmful for our
>>> projects.  If we *wanted* to distribute JBoss or OpenJDK (or anything
>>> where we have suitable license terms to redistribute), there's nothing
>>> that should legally prevent us from doing so.  -- justin
>>
>> Here I thought that was one of the least controversial portions of the
>> 3party draft.  See the first bullet here:
>>
>>  http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#options-inproduct
>>
>> Justin is right that there is nothing that legally prevents us from
>> shipping JBoss or OpenJDK, but traditionally this is something that by
>> policy the ASF has been against.
>
> Additional background:
>
>> The use case that I want to support:
>> --
>> A third-party, can take any ASF PMC distribution and throw it into a
>> commercial product with worry.
>> --

What about phrasing it as:

Q: "can an ASF product bundle and ship a platform-like dependency,
such as Windows, Java, JBoss, or JIRA?"
A: "While in some cases doing so would not cause any effect on the ASF
product, typically a platform is something that is provisioned
separately from the products that run on top of it. The ASF has as a
policy not bundling platforms. If you think you have a valid use case
for bundling a platform-like dependency, please bring the case to
legal-discuss@apache.org."

or something along the lines, posibly shorter.

Regards
Santiago