www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Reply-to..
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:31:36 GMT
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:53 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> To satisfy my own curiosity, I scanned the apmail/lists.  470 apache
> lists specify 'S' in config (meaning moderated subscriptions) and

I'd advise that you please check your facts in the future.  You have
it backwards:

       -s     Subscription moderation.  dir/modsub is created.   dir/text/mod-
              help is adjusted.  dir/text/sub-confirm is adjusted.

       -S     dir/modsub is removed.

members@ clearly has 's' set (see config file).  As does this list.

> make this a "fully public list" (a still as of yet, undefined term) in

I don't know how else to make it clear: "anyone can subscribe to the
list without approval".  That is not the case right now.

> And furthermore, if there are policies that trump the desires of the
> community in terms of things like Reply-To headers, can I ask that
> they be documented someplace?  Note: I am not questioning the need for
> such policies, I am merely asking that they be documented.

I am saying that for closed lists where people can post without being
subscribed and that they can't subscribe without explicit approval, it
is a very short-sighted policy to have Reply-To set.  -- justin