www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NOTICEs in Maven projects
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:56:36 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> The interesting effect of this interpretation is that there are
> projects whose source and binary releases should have different
> NOTICEs. This doesn't seem right, so currently I'm answering yes to
> question 1 if the project build results in a bundle (war, rar, etc.)
> that contains Y.

We had a good discussion about this on sling-dev@incubator (see [1])
and came up with a solution where the build setup is responsible for
attaching appropriate LICENSE and NOTICE files to the build result in
case those files would differ from the ones at the root of the source
directory.

To achieve this, we manually created these "binary" LICENSE and NOTICE
files in locations like src/main/resources/META-INF, where they'd be
picked up by Maven for inclusion in the resulting artifact. The end
result is quite nice, with accurate license and copyright information
for all source and binary packages. I'm advocating using this approach
also at least in future Jackrabbit and Tika releases.

Somewhat related, as discussed on server-dev@james (see [2]), I don't
think the current Maven tools are flexible enough to automatically
generate any non-trivial license and copyright information for
inclusion in binary packages. However, maintaining this information
manually isn't too difficult.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/2enw6ktxhc4ixmrk
[2] http://markmail.org/message/lt2jef5hizmhmzl6

BR,