www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Acceptable Notice Requirements
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 22:41:04 GMT

Sam Ruby wrote:
> This topic has been extensively discussed on internal legal and
> members mailing lists, I'm just posting it here so that everybody is
> aware of the policy constraints under which we have evaluated
> proposals from Sun for TCK licenses:
>
> 1) The ASF will not make statements regarding intellectual property
> other than what we expressly know about, and that we disclose in
> Notice files and our Apache License.

s/and our Apache License//;  The Apache License says exactly what it
says and shouldn't be modified from package to package.

+1 on this statement.

> 2) The ASF will not tell our licensees that they need to test their
> product with any given TCK, even if weakly phrased as "it is strongly
> recommended...."

+1 on this statement.  If something should be said about how a particular
project -is- tested (not -should be- tested) then that can be stated in
the README.  Not the NOTICE.

> 3) The ASF will neither acknowledge nor speculate on the possible
> consequences of any loss of certification that might arise as a result
> of substantive modifications to ASF-licensed software.

+1 on this statement.  As mentioned, it could be stated in the README that
the ASF release binary is tested and certified against "X".  But that says
nothing about downstream source code users and the choices they make.

Bill