www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Google Services License
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 17:08:18 GMT

On Jun 4, 2008, at 12:06 AM, Luciano Resende wrote:

> We are having a discussion about usage of GData Java Client API that
> is under Apache License 2.0, but then also have some additional  pile
> of legal stuff which applies to any *use* of the code.

The way I understand this is that the API code itself is licensed via
ASLv2, which means anyone is free to modify, build, distribute,
relicense, etc. and even change the API code to access any other
services that they might want to.

Once you use the API code to access some services, then you're outside
the scope of the license for the API code and need to look at the
license for the services you're accessing.

Specific to the usage in Tuscany, I don't see an issue with either
using the code as a binary dependency or changing it to suit your
requirements (forking) although I expect that Google would probably
appreciate feedback on any changes you might propose.

Craig