www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Platforms + Legal policy
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:28:10 GMT
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Justin Erenkrantz
<justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>> Now we've knocked a few use cases back, I think we're looking pretty
>> good to add something like the following to our evolving policy in
>> resolved.html:
>>
>> "Qn: Does it matter what platform an Apache product is created to work with?"
>> "Ans: It does not matter, unless the terms for that platform affect
>> the Apache product's licensing. For example, creating a product that
>> runs on Windows or Java or is a JBoss or JIRA plugin is all fine. "
>>
>> Any +1s? Thoughts? Peanuts?
>
> For clarity, I think there should be a negative example as well
> included in the FAQ.  One relevant example might be Linux kernel
> modules.  -- justin

+1 to both Henri's original and to Justin's suggestion.

This might seem redundant, and might be covered elsewhere, but adding
", as long as the Apache product itself can be licensed under the
Apache License, version 2.0" immediately before the final period in
Henri's original emphasizes the important point that a casual reading
may miss.

Would it be worth considering a follow-on question along the lines of
"can an ASF product bundle and ship Windows, Java, JBoss, or JIRA
itself?", with an answer of "No."

- Sam Ruby