www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Google Services License
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:41:13 GMT
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> It starts with:
>
> "By using Google's products, software, services or web sites ("Google
> services"), you agree to the following terms and conditions"
>
> At quick inspection, there is nothing in the GData API project to
> point you to these TOS, so the only concern I would have is if the TOS
> impose conditions on users that mean they're not as free to use the AL
> 2.0 code as they might be. I'm assuming that our developers would be
> (and probably already are for outside ASF reasons) signed up to use
> the services.
>
> Looking at that - the interesting text imo is in section 4.
>
> "You acknowledge and agree that Google services and any necessary
> software used in connection with Google services ("Software") contain
> proprietary and confidential information that is protected by
> applicable intellectual property and other laws and treaties. You
> further acknowledge and agree that Content contained in sponsor
> advertisements or presented to you through Google services is
> protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents or other
> proprietary rights and laws. Except as expressly authorized by Google
> or other proper third party rights holders, you agree not to modify,
> rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based
> on Content, Google services or Software, in whole or in part except as
> specifically authorized in a separate written agreement."
>
> So the user agreement gives them none of the usual copyright rights to
> the software used, unless expressly authorized. So the big question
> there is: "Is AL 2.0 on a codebase in code.google.com expressly
> authorizing?".
>
> They also say:
>
> "You agree not to access Google services by any means other than
> through the interface that is provided by Google for use in accessing
> Google services except as specifically authorized in a separate
> written agreement. "
>
> If we have person P, service S, google-api G and apache-product A,
> it's obviously fine for:  P->G->S. Are users allowed to do P->A->G->S?
> While it doesn't stop us adding the dependency, it would be lame if
> the users wouldn't be able to use the feature in Tuscany. I imagine
> that's okay, that the important part is G->S and not P->G.
>
> So I'd want to get confirmation from Google on both of those topics.
> Any thoughts?

I am entirely unconcerned.  The code itself is not in question.

Tuscany can be substantially used without this feature.  Those that
want to use this feature need a google account, or to find another
service and modify the code appropriately to access that service.  If
there were another analogous service available, I don't doubt that
Tuscany wouldn't hesitate for a moment to support it equally.

As such, I see no need to get a confirmation from Google.

A mention in a README in terms of the impact and implications to the
user (it can be as simple as "usage of X requires Y") would be
appropriate.

- Sam Ruby