www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Reply-to..
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:01:09 GMT
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Justin Erenkrantz
<justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 7:58 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
> <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> Sam Ruby wrote:
>>>
>>> I also prefer reply-to list.  Any objections?
>>
>> If we trust that everyone posing questions for discussion here would
>> be subscribed, then no objection from me.

Given that there are public archives, nobody is ever permanently
excluded -- *IF* the email is actually sent to the list.  All too many
of us, however, accidentally forget to include the list.

> And, it's not as this is a closed subscription list.  So, munging the
> reply-to header would always drop those folks.  There's a real reason
> why the reply-to isn't set for closed lists.  -- justin

Oh, there are lots of reasons ( and highly thought out and published
arguments, such as http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html ),
but unless I misunderstand the ASF's policy on the matter, this is
something that is left to the owners of each individual list to
decide.

So, the question stands: would anybody actually object to this list
being converted to reply-to list?

- Sam Ruby