www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: JSON license
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 14:49:41 GMT
On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> On Friday 06 June 2008 17:03, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>>> "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil"
>>
>> I suspect that "Evil doers" will not respect any license, and if they broke
>> this license, they would be in much bigger problem than being sued by JSON...
>>
>> But you are right in principle...
>
> I suspect we're using other software under this license though. It's a
> joke clause in my opinion.

It clearly is a joke clause, but not all licensees evaluate licenses
in a context where they can afford to have a sense of humor.

This may sound pedantic, but I would prefer not to encourage such
licenses, and as such would prefer to approve json.js itself for use
rather than the license.

- Sam Ruby