www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Platforms + Legal policy
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 05:07:57 GMT
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> Now we've knocked a few use cases back, I think we're looking pretty
> good to add something like the following to our evolving policy in
> resolved.html:
>
> "Qn: Does it matter what platform an Apache product is created to work with?"
> "Ans: It does not matter, unless the terms for that platform affect
> the Apache product's licensing. For example, creating a product that
> runs on Windows or Java or is a JBoss or JIRA plugin is all fine. "

Improving based on thread and thoughts:

"Qn: Does it matter what platform an Apache product is created to work with?"

"Ans: It does not matter, unless the terms for that platform affect
the Apache product's licensing. For example, creating a product that
runs on Windows or Java, is a web service such as Google Services or
Yahoo Search, or is a
plugin for a product such as JBoss or JIRA is all fine, whereas
creating a Linux kernel module is not fine because the Apache product
itself would
have to be licensed under something other than the Apache License, version 2.0.

Note that this does not mean the platform code itself can be
redistributed. That of course will
depend on the licensing of said code. Also, if you have any doubts as
to whether the licensing
of the platform would affect the Apache code, we recommend that you
check the legal-discuss@
archives to see if it has come up before, and if not email
legal-discuss@ to find out. "

Getting longer, but I think that covers what's come up, including I
think Sam's suggestion for another question, and ends with the call to
action to encourage people to bring any issues they have to the list.

Thoughts + peanuts again?

Hen