www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Services License
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 19:58:05 GMT
It starts with:

"By using Google's products, software, services or web sites ("Google
services"), you agree to the following terms and conditions"

At quick inspection, there is nothing in the GData API project to
point you to these TOS, so the only concern I would have is if the TOS
impose conditions on users that mean they're not as free to use the AL
2.0 code as they might be. I'm assuming that our developers would be
(and probably already are for outside ASF reasons) signed up to use
the services.

Looking at that - the interesting text imo is in section 4.

"You acknowledge and agree that Google services and any necessary
software used in connection with Google services ("Software") contain
proprietary and confidential information that is protected by
applicable intellectual property and other laws and treaties. You
further acknowledge and agree that Content contained in sponsor
advertisements or presented to you through Google services is
protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents or other
proprietary rights and laws. Except as expressly authorized by Google
or other proper third party rights holders, you agree not to modify,
rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based
on Content, Google services or Software, in whole or in part except as
specifically authorized in a separate written agreement."

So the user agreement gives them none of the usual copyright rights to
the software used, unless expressly authorized. So the big question
there is: "Is AL 2.0 on a codebase in code.google.com expressly
authorizing?".

They also say:

"You agree not to access Google services by any means other than
through the interface that is provided by Google for use in accessing
Google services except as specifically authorized in a separate
written agreement. "

If we have person P, service S, google-api G and apache-product A,
it's obviously fine for:  P->G->S. Are users allowed to do P->A->G->S?
While it doesn't stop us adding the dependency, it would be lame if
the users wouldn't be able to use the feature in Tuscany. I imagine
that's okay, that the important part is G->S and not P->G.

So I'd want to get confirmation from Google on both of those topics.
Any thoughts?

Hen