www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Services License
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 07:37:26 GMT
I believe we are fine to use the code. I very much doubt that there is
a restriction on use of the code and suspect that the AL 2.0 on the
source trumps the TOS making the "use" restriction related to the
service, not the code.

Given it should be very easy to ask them, we should check that that is so.

As long as the use restriction is not related to the AL 2.0 code that
we use, I don't see us caring. We write code for Java, for Windows,
for various other proprietary OSes and have a JIRA plugin or two -
proprietary platforms are fine and a set of services are just a
proprietary platform.

Basically the key question is whether the GData API can be forked to
work against a different service, or used against a cloned service. I
don't see patents as an important issue here (any more important than
usual that is), the AL 2.0 license on the GData client grants us a
license to anything covering the client.

Hen