www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 3rd party policy
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 00:27:07 GMT
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 5:09 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm not convinced that the LICENSE and NOTICE files which are intended to
> contain the minimum possible legal goo are appropriate places for the kind
> of helpful but not necessarily required information you are talking about.
>  The maven-remote-resources plugin is now including a META-INF/DEPENDENCIES
> file with this sort of information for the convenience of users.  It can be
> assembled more or less automatically from poms for maven projects whereas
> the LICENSE and NOTICE files still need careful human review, especially for
> aggregations.

It's close but cigarless - things that aren't covered:

1) We're primarily talking about 3rd party packages (technically
including other Apache packages) in the tar.gz/.zip.
2) They don't have a meta-inf, and hiding it in a random jar is
useless to a user who isn't introspecting a Maven built jar through a
GUI.
3) Dependencies are not what is in the tar.gz/zip.

> One case where this is handy if you are redistributing asl licensed projects
> from elsewhere that do not provide any notice files nor any legal files nor
> pom in the published jar.  You don't need another license file, nor a
> mention in NOTICES, but its pretty handy to have a place to find out where
> the code came from.

If the AL or ASL licensed project was from outside Apache, then you
definitely have to have a mention in NOTICE and you should call it out
license wise.

If it's from inside Apache, then you should have a mention in the
NOTICE (if you actually put it in your source imo) and the license
should be pointed to.

Hen