www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 3rd party policy
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 00:22:25 GMT
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 4:01 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/06/2008, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>>  So instead this becomes a recommendation of:
>>
>>  * Must link to URLs of third party dependencies.
>>
>>  Do we say that should be in a README?
>>
>>  I don't think it should go in the NOTICE for the reasons above (it's
>>  not in our source). Maybe the LICENSE files would be the best place.
>>  It means encouraging people to modify the third party license files
>>  (if they use that method of identifying the license) by placing the
>>  url to the project at the top of the file.
>
> There must be LICENSE file containing the AL2.0.

Yep.

> If there are additional license files, then these must be linked from
> the main LICENSE file, so it's a trivial matter to add the URL there,
> along with the pointer to the local copy of the 3rd party license
> file. No need to alter that file.

Erm - 'linked from'? First time I've seen that as a mandate. The
current setup afaik is:

* You must include the license for third party packages. These can be:
a) In the LICENSE file.
b) Next to the third party package.

Having (b) also include a rule that you have to link to the third
party package location seems like a correct idea. I'm a bit concerned
it adds confusion by having different LICENSE files for source than
binary etc, but people can build LICENSE files as a part of their
build process if need be.

> AIUI, it must be possible to start with the LICENSE file and find all
> the licenses.
>
> Users should not have to guess which other files contain licenses, or
> where these files are in the directory structure.

I've not seen it recorded as policy anywhere - seems worth doing
though. The advantage is worth the pain. Making it also include url
helps cover a bunch of license attributions which ask for the url to
be pointed to.

Hen