www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 3rd party policy
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 21:50:56 GMT
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:38 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/06/2008, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:20 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > Can Creative Commons be added to the list?
>>

>> CC isn't a single license, but a collection of licenses.  So, you'd
>>  need to be far more precise.  Some variants would be Category X, some
>>  would be A.  -- justin
>>

> I did not realise that.
>
> Let's start with
>
> Creative Commons Attribution License
> (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)

Yes - but we ought to discuss whether we want to have a 3rd-party.xml
file in each project as a part of that. CCA, as seen in an earlier
thread, has attribution clauses we are less likely to obey if we don't
have a standard approach to identifying projects distributed. It will
also help with CPL and its ilk.

> That reminds me - most of the licenses are identified only by their
> acronyms. As the number of licenses increases, it becomes more likely
> that these may be misread.
>
> It's also not obvious how to find the licence text given only the acronym.

Definitely need to improve that.

Hen