www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3rd party policy
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 23:01:29 GMT
On 03/06/2008, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:11 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 03/06/2008, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>  >> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:56 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  > On 03/06/2008, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>  >>  >> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:38 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  >>  > On 03/06/2008, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com>
wrote:
>  >>  >>  >> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:20 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  >>  >>  >>  > Can Creative Commons be added to the list?
>  >>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  >> CC isn't a single license, but a collection of licenses.
 So, you'd
>  >>  >>  >>  need to be far more precise.  Some variants would be Category
X, some
>  >>  >>  >>  would be A.  -- justin
>  >>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >>  > I did not realise that.
>  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >>  > Let's start with
>  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >>  > Creative Commons Attribution License
>  >>  >>  > (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >> Yes - but we ought to discuss whether we want to have a 3rd-party.xml
>  >>  >>  file in each project as a part of that. CCA, as seen in an earlier
>  >>  >>  thread, has attribution clauses we are less likely to obey if we
don't
>  >>  >>  have a standard approach to identifying projects distributed. It
will
>  >>  >>  also help with CPL and its ilk.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Not another file ... surely the NOTICE file is the place for attributions?
>  >>  > Don't we just need to provide sample text for it?
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> I'd like to see every included third party package be referred to with:
>  >>
>  >>  * Name
>  >>  * URL to canonical site
>  >>  * License name
>  >>  * License url if available
>  >>  * Project level copyright statements.
>  >>
>  >>  The problem with putting that in NOTICE is that someone will point out
>  >>  that the license information should be in LICENSE or next to the third
>  >>  party package. Also, NOTICE should (imo) only include copyright
>  >>  statements that refer to copyright included in the project's source,
>  >>  not in third party packages it redistributes.
>  >
>  > As far as I can see, all the information above (apart perhaps from the
>  > URLs) is already required in either the N or L files.
>

> Fair point.
>
>  So instead this becomes a recommendation of:
>
>  * Must link to URLs of third party dependencies.
>
>  Do we say that should be in a README?
>
>  I don't think it should go in the NOTICE for the reasons above (it's
>  not in our source). Maybe the LICENSE files would be the best place.
>  It means encouraging people to modify the third party license files
>  (if they use that method of identifying the license) by placing the
>  url to the project at the top of the file.

There must be LICENSE file containing the AL2.0.

If there are additional license files, then these must be linked from
the main LICENSE file, so it's a trivial matter to add the URL there,
along with the pointer to the local copy of the 3rd party license
file. No need to alter that file.

AIUI, it must be possible to start with the LICENSE file and find all
the licenses.
Users should not have to guess which other files contain licenses, or
where these files are in the directory structure.