www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about the ASF claiming copyright
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:20:46 GMT
On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 02:28:21PM -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> This question may be deeper than you might otherwise expect.

I suspected it may be...

> The ASF's position is that there is substantial creativity in the
> compilation of our mature codebases - httpd, tomcat, etc.; and that
> that compilation was shepherded and guided at every step along the way
> by group consensus.

Okay, sure, I can understand this.

The issue of multiple copyright holders, that of the committers and of the
Foundation, does seem like it could bring some legal complexity. Is there any
reason the ASF doesn't use copyright assignments?

> I'll go further, and answer what may, in fact, be an unasked question
> lurking in your original note.  The ASF goes out of its way to
> emphasize the role of the group and deemphasize the role of the
> individual in the process of the development of our creative works.
> While there may be 'project leads', or 'owners' in other
> organizations, such roles have no place here.  We discourage people
> from leaving marks indicating "I modified this line of code" and
> encourage groups to list all of the contributors to a given codebase.

This also makes a lot of sense, thanks for the clarification.

Best,

--
Noah Slater - The Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/>