www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: NOTICEs in Maven projects
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:48:37 GMT
On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 08:30 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Consider a Maven project X that has a dependency to some artifact Y
> > with some attribution requirements.
> >
> > 1) Should the NOTICE file in the source release of project X include
> > the attribution for Y even if Y is not included in the release
> > package? Note that the build instructions (typically "mvn install")
> > will cause Y to be automatically downloaded.
> >
> > 2) If X results in a jar artifact deployed to the Maven repository,
> > should the NOTICE included in that artifact contain attribution for Y
> > even if Y is not included in the jar file? Note that any downstream
> > project that depends on X will also automatically depend on Y due to
> > the transitive dependency.
> >
> > 3) If X results in a war artifact (or any other bundle) that contains
> > Y, should the NOTICE included in that artifact contain attribution for
> > Y? What if the Y artifact already contains it's own NOTICE file?
> >
> > My best understanding is that the answer to 1 and 2 is no

generally no (unless the license for Y explicitly requires this
attribution)

> > and the answer to 3 is yes, based on the idea that attribution for Y is only
> > required when Y is actually being distributed.
>
> Agreed. I'd rather that 3) was also generally no - that attribution
> clauses in a war would generally be handled by the LICENSE (and NOTICE
> if need be) of Y being placed near Y. The first party project's
> LICENSE and NOTICE should be reserved for items appearing within the
> source of X and not for 2nd party or 3rd party products that happen to
> exist in the same collection.

in case 3, it depends on the attribution clause. it's usually easier to
aggregate all notices (in other words, yes) rather than analyse each
license. AFACT it's not necessary to copy notices from AL2.0'd artifacts
that contain them.

- robert