www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Does re-writing a piece of code mean you need to keep the old license?
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 17:58:26 GMT
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:

> Matt Benson wrote:
>
>> If the original code is your own  [ ... ]
>>

> On the other hand, if the original code is *not* yours, but rather some
> code you downloaded from somewhere, then a literal translation would
> probably be considered a derived work and hence its licensed cannot be
> altered without permission.  Algorithms are not patentable, so reading the C
> code to see how it works, then re-writing it in Java might be okay, provided
> you don't structure your program too similarly.

I think you meant "ideas are not copyrightable".  Copyright law would only
care whether it's derivative, because you're translating from one language
to another, or original work, since you're creating new code but
incorporating an idea from some other place.

Separately, the algorithm may be protected by patent.

Assaf