www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Creative Commons Attribution License
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 00:08:33 GMT
On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
> I don't have any problem with depending on a CC licensed artifact, but I'm
> troubled by the notion that an artifact would be installed into a Maven
> repository by "not the author".

I, on the other hand, have zero problems with that.

The very purpose of creating an open source or creative commons
license is to remove the very need to obtain permission for a select
set of uses.  In fact I have personally heard Joi Ito (current CEO of
Creative Commons) argue very eloquently AGAINST the idea that people
should either seek, or grant, permissions to works that are already
licensed under a creative commons license.  He cites the Chicago
Manual of Style:

"The act of seeking permission establishes that the author feels
permission is needed, and the tacit admission may be damaging to the
author's cause."

Think about it.  You write open source code.  An individual, a group,
or a company is free to pick up that code and distribute it to
his/her/their users.  In general, do they need to seek your permission
before they do so?  No.

> Would it be possible for you to contact the owner and ask if they would
> publish it to a Maven repo themselves?

I am confident that I have written code that exists in a Maven
repository that I haven't put there.  And while I may be the original
author of that code, I am not the "owner".