www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Creative Commons Attribution License
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 07:46:56 GMT
Fair point - their attribution clauses (section 3b) are a bit more
convoluted than such things normally are. I'll note it on the
resolved-questions page. Digging into the details of 3b:

*1* Keep copyright statements [no problem, we'd do the same for anything]
*2* Identify the original author [I'd expect the copyright statement
to do that, but maybe there if is none then we could slip up here]
*3* Sponsor if supplied [This is the one I wouldn't expect us to
usually look for]
*4* Title if supplied [It would get named in some way]
*5* URL
*6* Derivative work statement [This would then be in ASF source rather
than a 3rd party dependency and would go in the NOTICE]

Summarizing, we would generally do 1 and 6 by default. It seems
unlikely that we would not cover 2 and 4, unlikely that 3 happens very
often and quite likely that we would link to the URL.

Maybe however we should have a defined format for a third party notice
file. All of the above are good ideas (except sponsor) for any third
party dependency and having a common format for such things across our
projects seems good. I've seen some xml files in oss projects recently
(I think they were JBoss ones) so it might be that there is a nascent
standard available. Maven have also been digging into such things,
though they've been putting it in the NOTICE.

Hen