www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven repository issues [Was: Creative Commons Attribution License]
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 09:51:52 GMT
On 30/05/2008, Gilles Scokart <gscokart@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/5/29 Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com>:
>
> > Except, not everything is copyrightable, it has to have some creativity in it.
>  >
>  > This particular case is not copyrightable, and slapping a copyright
>  > statement on it won't change that.
>  >

> I can't disagree more.  Writing a pom requires a lot of creativity.

That really depends on the jar that is being uploaded. A number of the
.pom files have only a few lines in them which merely describe the
jar, and perhaps point to the licence and svn etc.

IMO, these don't need a license.

This is the sort of pom that generally accompanies 3rd party libraries
such as JUnit.