www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: a note about indirect contributions
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:11:09 GMT

On Apr 22, 2008, at 8:42 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2008, at 10:56 AM, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't see evidence in that message for the assertion that this
>>> does not apply.  Roy states there that, "if SourceSense is indeed
>>> being contracted by Microsoft for the purpose of contributing to
>>> POI, then Microsoft is a Contributor and bound by the terms of
>>> our license".
>>>
>>> So the bit of information I am missing is precisely what
>>> Microsoft has contracted with Sourcesense.  The press seems to
>>> imply the contract includes POI, doesn't it?
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/
>>> mar08/03-25SourcesensePR.mspx
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>
>> A long thread on dev@poi where the one and only relevant detail of
>> the agreement was posted: Sourcesense retains the copyright to
>> their contribution.
>
> Please read my message again, Gianugo.  The CLAs are both copyright
> and patent
> licensing agreements, and Contributor is well defined by those
> agreements.
> If you commit code that is covered by a Microsoft-controlled patent
> while you
> are under contract with Microsoft to contribute to POI (no matter
> how vaguely
> that is specified by Microsoft), then you are licensing Microsoft's
> intellectual
> property as a joint Contributor.

I don't quite think this applies in general. Are you implying that
any GSOC contribution actually has Google as a Contributor together
with the sponsored individual, whatever the consequences are from a
copyright/patent perspective? I'm fully with you on Work For Hire
scenarios, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that any kind of
contract means a joint contribution per se. And even then, I still
don't understand your last sentence, unless the "you" in " you are
licensing Microsoft's intellectual property as a joint Contributor"
is a plural undetermined form such as "either Sourcesense or
Microsoft, we don't care".

> If you don't have permission to do that from
> Microsoft, then you are responsible for the resulting infringements
> -- not the
> ASF and not anyone who later receives software from the ASF.  You
> are responsible
> for ensuring that your contract with Microsoft is sufficient to
> allow you to
> contribute under the ASF's CCLA.

Fully agreed here. However, while it doesn't matter from a purely
legal perspective, the user consequences should be considered from a
general ASF business POV, as I assume we (as in the ASF) would have
to withdraw the contribution.

> Whether or not Microsoft also owns or
> does not own the copyright is completely irrelevant -- it does not
> shield
> Microsoft from being a willing party in the Contribution and the
> resulting
> license of necessary patent claims.

I'm with you here, but only on Estoppel-ish grounds (http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoppel). My roman law background makes me
think that it takes more than an implicit and indirect consensus to
form a legal agreement between two parties. The contracts between A
and B and B and C don't necessarily imply a resulting transitive
contract between A and C.

> By issuing that PR, Microsoft has acknowledged their intention and
> consent
> for the technology to be a Contribution.  Sam, I suggest you print
> it out and
> save it in our records, just in case.  Microsoft's clear intent to
> contribute
> these technologies by "Donating code to an established, consensus-
> driven
> organization such as the Apache Software Foundation" is more than
> enough
> to stop any later claim of patent (monopoly) infringement.

+1, but again I would consider this a very specific case and I
wouldn't arrive as far as saying that any funded contribution carries
an implicit patent grant and the implicit Contributor role for what
looks to me like a third party.

Then again, I recognize I might be completely wrong with my more than
non-existent understanding of US contract law. And I'd just love to
be proven wrong as this would streamline immensely our IP duties.

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Blogging at http://boldlyopen.com/