www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Test files with no license information
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:07:56 GMT
I notice that the thread in the incubator relating to the proposed
release of Abdera has run into some difficulties with the following
text from [1]:

<policy>
What files in an Apache release do not require a license header?
A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements
or its structure is not protected by copyright law; therefore, such a
file does not require a license header. If in doubt about the extent
of the file's creativity, add the license header to the file.

</policy>

In my opinion, this may be too restrictive. In the case of test case
files, the test might specifically address a case where adding the
Apache license header changes the test or makes the test invalid. For
example, an .xml file that is testing the behavior of a parser on a
file without any comments.

Seems to me we need an exception in these cases. If only to avoid
having the same discussion every few months in the incubator.

Craig

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com