www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Test files with no license information
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:53:40 GMT
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
> I notice that the thread in the incubator relating to the proposed release
> of Abdera has run into some difficulties with the following text from [1]:
>
>  <policy>
>  What files in an Apache release do not require a license header?
>  A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements or
> its structure is not protected by copyright law; therefore, such a file does
> not require a license header. If in doubt about the extent of the file's
> creativity, add the license header to the file.
>
>  </policy>
>
>  In my opinion, this may be too restrictive. In the case of test case files,
> the test might specifically address a case where adding the Apache license
> header changes the test or makes the test invalid. For example, an .xml file
> that is testing the behavior of a parser on a file without any comments.
>
>  Seems to me we need an exception in these cases. If only to avoid having
> the same discussion every few months in the incubator.

It should go without saying that I'm in favor of an explicit exception
for this kind of case.  I'm getting extremely tired of having the
argument on general@incubator, and the fact that it keeps coming
apparently means we can't trust people to just exercise common sense
on this sort of case...

-garrett