www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: site -= apply-license.html
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:20:22 GMT
On 03/04/2008, Robert Burrell Donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html is dated and contains
>  information that has been replaced by content on legal. i think most of
>  the content is either out-of-date or replaced. i think that it's best
>  removed and a redirect added to the newer legal documentation.
>

>  any objections?

I think the only part of the document that is out of date are parts of
the #new section:
- the para about the NOTICE file is incomplete, because the ASF
Copyright line now goes in the file.
- the para about the source file header is incorrect, because the
header text has changed.

>  anything i've missed?
>
>  unless anyone shouts, i'll delete it tomorrow (friday) sometime after
>  1200 hours GMT.

Rather than deleting it entirely, I think the incorrect parts should be updated.

But I do agree that this whole area needs re-organising to make it
absolutely clear what the requirements are, i.e. the legal
requirements and the ASF policy, which AFAIK goes beyond the strict
legal requirements.

It may be that the document is eventually deleted as part of the
re-organisation, but I think it's too early to do that yet.