www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Guillaume Nodet" <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Legal issues in re-bundling some binary dependencies
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:09:59 GMT
ServiceMix 4 is being developed based on OSGi.  OSGi require all the
jars to be "OSGi bundles", which means that they contain some OSGi
specific entries in the jar manifest.   Lots of our dependencies are
not already OSGi bundles, so we need to repackage those so that we can
acutally use them.
The process is to extract / unzip the jar, modify the manifest and
repackage it under another name.
I just found that it may be a problem for jars categorized as "binary
license compatible" with the ASL: I'm mainly thinking about CDDL for a
few sun jars that we need, namely jaxb2 spec jar, jaxb2 implementation
and saaj implementation which are all under CDDL.
Is my assumption right that such jars can not be modified and
distributed and that such restrictions does not apply for BSD style,
public domain, CPL and AL2 ?

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet