www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alan Cabrera <...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Legal issues in re-bundling some binary dependencies
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:24:41 GMT

On Mar 11, 2008, at 2:09 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> ServiceMix 4 is being developed based on OSGi.  OSGi require all the
> jars to be "OSGi bundles", which means that they contain some OSGi
> specific entries in the jar manifest.   Lots of our dependencies are
> not already OSGi bundles, so we need to repackage those so that we can
> acutally use them.
> The process is to extract / unzip the jar, modify the manifest and
> repackage it under another name.
> I just found that it may be a problem for jars categorized as "binary
> license compatible" with the ASL: I'm mainly thinking about CDDL for a
> few sun jars that we need, namely jaxb2 spec jar, jaxb2 implementation
> and saaj implementation which are all under CDDL.
> Is my assumption right that such jars can not be modified and
> distributed and that such restrictions does not apply for BSD style,
> public domain, CPL and AL2 ?

The OSGi additions are merely descriptions of the jar in a canonical
form, per OSGi.  They are additions to the jar driven by the contents
of the jar and are not modifications.  To be sure the manifest is
modified but that is part of its raison d'etre; the file is there for
others to also be able to jam in their information in.

The point in distributing binaries for jars w/ reciprocal licenses,
IIUC, is that there is less exposed surface area of the third-party
work from which a work might be derived.  In this case modifications
by users are not built on top of these OSGi descriptions; they cannot
provide the toe hold that binary distributions are meant to
minimize.  Instead, the OSGi descriptions would change, if at all, to
accurately describe the new jar.

IMO, I think it's kosher.

Regards,
Alan

P.S. Adding something like BundleActivators would change this
situation dramatically.