www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Test case, shindig NOTICE file
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:50:44 GMT
On Mar 4, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2008, at 4:52 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> No, it is not correct.  Thank you for pointing out where the bad
>> advice
>> is coming from on our website.
>>
>> NOTICES is for mandatory attributions *only*.  The kind of things you
>> expect to see in an About... box when required by the licensed
>> component
>> or by the CCLA or software grant.  It should not contain any
>> horizontal
>> rules (or anything else that isn't strictly necessary).
>>

> Can you explain *why* you are so prescriptive? I understand that
> the notice must contain mandatory attributions. From you
> directions, I can only assume that an editorial-style comment (e.g.
> horizontal rule) somehow either invalidates the information in a
> NOTICE file or cause problems for downstream users of a NOTICE file.

NOTICE is required to be displayed by binary-only distributions in the
equivalent of an About box or within the documentation.  It is a legal
condition placed by our license.  Therefore, anything extraneous becomes
a burden on those redistributing our software and trying to comply
with our license.

> I can think of at least one reason why a PMC might wish to have
> editorial comments in a NOTICE file. Say a project 'foo' has an
> attribution for project 'bar'. Now my project is embedding 'foo'.
> So, my NOTICE requires attribution to 'foo' and 'bar'. But the PMC
> wants to indicate in the NOTICE file that 'foo' and 'bar'
> attributions are associated with the embedding of 'foo', not
> embedding of 'foo' and 'bar' individually.

Why is that reason relevant?  Each is included, each has a copyright
owner
that demands attribution, and each is satisfied by the attribution in
NOTICE.
Horizontal rules are just excess baggage.

> Multiple projects have taken to adding the following as a prologue
> to their NOTICE file. From your instructions, it seems that this
> practice should be stopped...

> ===
> ==  NOTICE file corresponding to section 4(d) of the Apache
> License,   ==
> ==  Version 2.0, in this case for the Apache X
> distribution.           ==
> ===

Yes, it should be stopped.

....Roy